The Pokemon universe graced players with a lot of beloved concepts ingrained into its central gameplay loop: Pokeballs to catch Pokemon, the PokeDex to keep track of Pokemon, and the PokeNav to explore any game’s region, to name a few. However, Pokemon in Pokemon rely on various Berries to stay on top of their game, courtesy of their handy bonuses.
Unlike player-applied Potions, Berries instead affect Pokemon depending on certain situations. As such, the right Berry can secure victory or lead to defeat in any match. However, Pokemon fans might be interested to learn more about more secrets that Berries hold.
10 Berries Serve An Integral Part Of The Ecosystem
Similar to usual flora and fauna, Berries have become a part of the Pokemon Universe for quite some time. The anime reveals that Berries have been around since the dawn of time, implying that Berries may have evolved over the course of years. Wales Island contains trees of ancient Berries, while fossils suggest Pokemon such as Armaldo and Anorith eating Berries from thousands of years ago.
In the Pokemon ecosystem, Grass and Water-Type Pokemon frequently gather large Berries to their shelters. However, fights frequently happen between these Pokemon as they strive for domination over Berry territories.
9 Berries Become More Than Just Held Items
Berries have more uses than one might think beyond their nature as Held Items. When not used in combat, Berries find themselves used in a wide variety of situations. As revealed in the anime, humans can make use of Berries in a wide variety of situations:
- Create Pokemon Treats: People can create various Pokemon Treats through the creative use of Berries. These include Poke Puffs, Poffins, and Pokeblocks.
- Create Food and Dishes: Like in the real world, Berries in the Pokemon Universe are generally edible by humans. For instance, Ash and his friends met Abigail who bakes cakes made out of Berries. In Snowpoint City, an ice cream bar uses Tamato Berry.
- Create Medicine: Like some herbal plants in the real world, certain Berries also contain medicinal properties. Preparing such Berries requires grinding with mortar and pestles, among other tools. These medicinal Berries include the Oran Berry, which can treat Pokemon fever.
8 Berries Affect Pokemon Abilities
Pokemon across Generations are known to carry various characteristics that affect their overall performance. In each Generation, special Abilities can pop up in Pokemon that affect the way they interact with Berries:
- Pickup (Gen III): A Pokemon may get a Held Item after battle.
- Gluttony (Gen IV): A Pokemon would eat Berries when their HP is at 50% lower, when they should normally eat it at 25% HP or lower.
- Harvest (Gen V): A Pokemon may restore the Berry they ate at the end of a turn.
- Unnerve (Gen V): A Pokemon may prevent an enemy from eating their own Berries.
- Cheek Pouch (Gen VI): A Pokemon may heal a third of their HP after consuming a Berry.
- As One (Gen VIII): A Pokemon may prevent an enemy from eating Berries.
- Ripen (Gen VIII): A Pokemon eating a Berry may receive double its effect.
7 Berries Become The Target Of Pokemon Moves
Berries also become the target of various Pokemon Moves across Generations. Depending on the effect, a Pokemon can nullify the effects of a Berry, steal a Berry, or even destroy Berries outright. Here are some notable Moves that affect Berries:
- Thief (Physical, Dark): This steals the target Pokemon’s Held Item.
- Teatime (Status, Normal): This forces all Pokemon to eat their held Berries.
- Incinerate (Special, Fire): This destroys the enemy’s Held Berry.
- Embargo (Status, Dark): This nullifies the effects of the target’s Held Item throughout five turns. If a target tries to circumvent this with Pluck or Bug Bite, the Berry becomes useless.
Berries in the Trading Card Game also have a similar function to that of their game counterparts. First appearing in the Neo Genesis expansion after the release of Pokemon Gold and Silver, Berries become a card class called Pokemon Tools. These Pokemon Tools serve as a subclass to Trainer cards, and are activated when attached to Pokemon.
Some Pokemon in the TCG also come with Berries already attached to them. Like in the games, the Berry’s effects come into play as soon as their Pokemon holder is summoned. These Pokemon include Bidoof, Shinx, Pikachu, Chimchar, and Piplup.
5 Berries Become Capture, Gym Aids In Pokemon GO
Berries also have a similar effect in Pokemon GO, but this time around towards enemy Pokemon. Whereas Pokemon in games have Berries as Held Items, Berries in Pokemon GO aid in the capturing and defending process.
In most instances, Trainers feed Wild Pokemon a Berry in order to make them more susceptible to captures. These include calming Nanab Berry, Candy-dropping Pinap Berry, or capture rate-increasing Razz Berry. Since 2017, Pokemon that defend Gyms can eat Berries to boost their motivation or healing.
4 Berries Have Odd Effects In The Anime
Berries also make an appearance in the anime as native fruits. However, the anime does have Berries outside the game that feature unique effects. These Berries include:
- Pinkan Berry: This can change a Pokemon’s color to pink.
- Rinka Berry: This can clear a consumer’s throat and restore their vocal ability.
- Unknown Berry: This Berry type grows from Snover’s body. In the anime, it gave Ash and their Pokemon strange Berries growing on its belly. However, the Berries had no adverse effects when consumed by either humans or Pokemon.
3 Berries Become Currency In PokePark
Berries also have a function in the PokePark Wii Games, this time in the form of currencies. Players use Berries for training or Attractions and can be obtained by finishing Skill Games or earning Bonuses. There also exists a Big Berry that can either be given to Munchlax for consumption or used to befriend Pikachu.
There are also Berries found in the field that merit points when obtained. These Berries are classified by color and not necessarily their species. For instance, Green Berries net 10 points whereas Red Berries net 50 points. However, Golden Berries earn the highest as they can net 100 Points a pop.
2 Berries Have An e-Reader Variant
Berries also make an appearance in Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire in a special format through e-Reader Cards. Hyped as an accessory item for the GameBoy Advance, the e-Reader can scan Berry Cards to obtain them in the game.
However, each instance of the game can only have room for on e-Reader Berry. As such, new data from another e-Reader Card will overwrite the data of an existing e-Reader Berry. Popular e-Reader Berries include the Pumkin Berry, which can cure Freeze.
1 Berries Become A Component In The Arcade Game
In Pokemon Battrio, players do battle with a team of Pokemon accessed via real-life pucks. Aside from only having one Move instead of four, Pokemon also have access to Special Abilities. Berries appear in the game as Special Abilities, which give attack damage and Fervor (damage multiplier) bonuses to Pokemon exposed to them.
Special Berry types exist in Battrio, such as a Large Berry that is worth four times the normal Berry, the Ojama Berry that grants a slow debuff, and a Super Berry that boosts both attack and speed.
MORE: Inconsistencies In Pokemon Lore
During a Twitch livestream, btecbill_ inadvertently loses 4,317 days of Hardcore Minecraft progress due to a simple equipment mistake.
You May Like Also